Table of Contents Show
- Points to keep in mind when choosing the Best Faucet Water Filter
- 5 Best Faucet Water Filters (2023)
According to the Water Quality Association and Environmental Protection Agency, 60% of Americans have a water treatment unit in their homes. It is surely for the best as water filters cleanse the water which improves the drinking water systems of the United States.
Getting a faucet water filter will be a great decision if you haven’t bought it yet. There are a lot of pollutants in the drinking water. These pollutants include lead and arsenic, which may be harmful to our health.
You need to find and buy the best faucet water filter for water filtration and the betterment of your home.
Water filters are available in a wide variety. There are a lot of different types which include carafes, faucet attachments, mounts, and countertops. A faucet attachment is generally easier to install and works well in any standard kitchen.
It gets attached to the faucet and filters the water as it flows from the tap. If you consider an under-sink model, it takes effort as well as a need for a plumbing system. Moreover, the water carafes which have filters need to be refilled daily.
Points to keep in mind when choosing the Best Faucet Water Filter
1. Water Contaminants
Tap water or unfiltered water contains many contaminants which include pesticides, organic compounds, microorganisms, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and even heavy metals such as lead, mercury, and arsenic.
One has to drink purified water for wellness
- Chlorine and chloramine: these are the two most common chemicals used to disinfect public water supplies. They clean the water and make it safe for us to drink. However, if the chemical content is too high, it can irritate the eyes and nose. A strong Chlorine taste can also lead to discomfort in the stomach.
- Fluoride: it is a chemical that is good for our dental health. Some communities prefer adding fluoride to their drinking water in small amounts. However, everything in excess is harmful. Similarly, the addition of extra fluoride can result in the pitting and staining of tooth enamel. Long-term exposure can even lead to bone issues.
- Lead: this chemical can leach into the water through the public water system. This happens due to corrosion. You can find this chemical easily everywhere because all the city infrastructure has lead pipes. Later with development, people got to know how toxic this chemical is. It can cause neurological damage, impaired formation of blood cells, and dis-functioning of the blood cells.
Always get a filter that has the capability of eliminating pollutants. These contaminants are alarming. The faucet-mounted filters can improve the taste of water. The types are as follows:
- Reverse Osmosis filters: these are the most effective ones for homes as this system can use more than seven different filters. These filters are capable of removing 99% of the contaminants from the water. But, these filters do not fit on a faucet. These connect directly to the incoming water supply.
- Carbon filters: these filters are common in faucet-mounted products. They work in an absorb and release system. The filters can trap chlorine, pesticides, and solvents within the carbon. However, they are not the most effective when it comes to removing nitrates and sodium.
- Ultraviolet filters: these filters also do not get attached to the faucet. These water filters connect directly to the incoming water supply. This filtration system has ultraviolet rays which kill bacteria, parasites, and any viruses. They do not filter the mineral contaminants so these are generally paired with the reverse osmosis system for better results.
Manufacturers commonly make faucet water filters with plastic or stainless steel materials. Different manufacturers offer other types of material finishes as well. Sometimes they give off stainless steel look because of the metal plating. The aim is to give an attractive look to the product.
Plastic faucet water filters are pocket-friendly. They are resistant to corrosion and rusting. Even though the plastic filters are durable and sturdy, they do not last long enough. The plastic filter will need replacements now and then as they do not have the same level of resilience as the stainless steel filters.
Stainless steel faucet water filters are costly, but they are worth the investment. Why, you may well ask. Manufacturers make them from heavy durable metal.
They stay with you for a long period and do the job better than a plastic filter. If you wish to match the faucet filter and the sink to maintain your kitchen aesthetics, you can do that with the stainless steel filter.
4. Flow Rate
A flow rate is the amount of water that flows from the filter in a specific period. It is measured in gallons per minute. The home water filters must be able to filter numerous gallons of water per minute. Most showers and dishwashers can use up to 5 GPM.
Faucet water filters do not demand a certain water pressure. Smaller ones have a set flow rate of 0.5 GPM with a few exceptions. This amount is enough to fill up seven or eight standard glasses of water in a minute.
5 Best Faucet Water Filters (2023)
1. Brita Basic Faucet Water Filter System
The Brita water faucet filter has a white plastic exterior design which is resistant to rust and corrosion. The flow rate of this filter is 0.5 GPM. It uses an activated carbon filter cartridge that can last up to 4 months or 100 gallons of water.
This water filter works well with a standard-sized kitchen faucet. And you cannot mount it with pull-out or spray-style faucets. The specific water filter does not need any tools for it to be assembled. The Brita water filter is very effective in removing lead and chlorine.
Moreover, this water filter tends to improve the taste of the water, the smell of it, and also the level of clarity. It has a green light which is operational as a sign that the cartridge needs to be refilled/replaced.
2. Culligan FM-25 Faucet Mount Filter
The best part about this water filter is that it has a chrome plate finish with stainless steel as the base material. This material increases the filter life as compared to plastic.
It has a flow rate of 0.5 GPM. Culligan filter’s cartridge can last you for about 2 months or 200 gallons of water depending on your use.
The carbon block cartridge reduces atrazine, chlorine, lindane, lead, and many other chemicals. Thus, it makes the water cleaner and safer to use. The Culligan filter gets plus points for its durability, convenient installation, and use.
However, the issue is that this filter does not work well with most faucet types as it does not fit them.
3. Waterdrop NSF Certified Basic Faucet Filter
This water filter is available in the market for a good price. It has an activated carbon filter cartridge which helps in removing lead, chlorine, and other water contaminants. The filter cartridge can last up to 3 months or 320 gallons of water.
The flow rate of this water filter is also 0.5 GPM and is resistant to corrosion. It has a plastic exterior with a plastic chrome fitting. This water filter is compatible as it works well with a standard faucet kitchen. Plus, it is a no-tool installation filter!
4. Home Master HM MiniPlus Sink-top Faucet Filter
If you are someone who wants to target the lead lines in your water supply then you should invest in this water filter. It has the potential to get rid of 99% of lead from the drinking water making it safe and clean water.
It also removes cryptosporidium and giardia cysts, sediment, chlorine, agricultural, and industrial runoff. The carbon cartridge in this filter has a very long life and lasts up to 1 year and 750 gallons of water.
This water filter has the capability of improving the taste and odor of the water and has a maximum flow rate of 0.5 GPM. It has an exterior of plastic but that is corrosion resistant.
5. DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet Mount Water Filter
The DuPont water filter has an activated carbon filter cartridge. It can remove sediment, chlorine, benzene, mercury, and lead. These water contaminants make the water unsafe for drinking and use generally.
This filter cartridge can last up to 3 months or 100 gallons of filtered water before it needs to be replaced. The exterior is made up of plastic that is resistant to rusting and corrosion. The good part is that the plastic is covered with chrome so it looks well blended in any kitchen setting.
This filter is also easy to install as it does not need any tools. However, it can not connect to drop-down or spray faucets.
So, having a faucet water filter is a wise decision considering the high contamination in drinking water. These filters can improve the taste, odor, and quality of water plus making it safer to drink.